I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, December 11, 2016

"Spiral"

After spending most of two days shoveling snow, I thought it would be a good idea to put that de-icing stuff by my door.  One step outside, and shlumpf!  I was on my ass and banged my head.  Sometimes life isn't kind to me.

Ohio gets snow, sometimes a lot of it, but most of the snow usually falls to the east and/or south of me.  This time, I got all of it.  I shoveled my drive 3x Friday, about 4-6" each time.  By the time my puppy had to do her last night piddle, the snow was so deep she got buried in snow.  She and I agree winter sucks.  Saturday, the snow was deeper than my knee boots are tall.  I repeatedly worked up a sweat while simultaneously freezing.

I stare out the window and type very few words, hypnotized by fat, spiraling snowflakes.  Griping about shoveling is just recreational.  The weather report said I'm not getting a thaw before Monday to erase all this white stuff.  I had to shovel it, and I accepted that.  It's my winter exercise plan.  The sore knot in my shoulder is just a reminder that I'm healthy enough to move mountains, or in this case, create 5' mountains of white matter.

I watched my neighbors handling their snow problems.  A teenaged boy tentatively poked at the stuff and weakly tossed a couple cups worth of snow onto the pile, resting for a few minutes before doing it again.  His dad cleared yards in the time the kid did a foot.  Meanwhile, the woman next to them spent hours with her snow blower.  She was extra considerate and neat.  My crabby neighbor actually joked with me while we shoveled.  A guy drove down the road with a plow, saw me shoveling, and cleared the apron of my drive.  Bless that guy.  I'm not even sure who he is, but he seemed to think my grateful wave of thanks was payment enough for his kindness.

The roads were awful when all this snow was coming down, and I didn't have a choice about being in the mess.  People were understanding and resigned.  Someone got stuck, and a woman jumped out of her car and helped push, leaving her car in the middle of the backed up street.  Nobody honked.  I think we were all glad helping each other still exists.

Lately, I've seen too much in the news about how divided the US is.  I've been appalled at how many people want women barefoot and pregnant and how some people talk so hatefully about women, minorities, and gay people.  Get rid of environmental protections, public school, and overtime pay.  Yet, there are still people willing to help a stranger stuck in snow.  Just as more people voted for Clinton in the election, I have to think that most people are decent and cooperative.

There's something about nature dumping a load of snow to make us stop our usual self-interested vanities and become a community again.  Sitting inside and watching snow spiral down from the sky lowers my blood pressure and gives me a little hope that things have a natural order, that human nature isn't as bad as it seems to be on tv.  Maybe things would be better if Washington, DC got more snow?

12 comments:

  1. I should confess Linda that I am just a tiny bit jealous of your snow and beautiful snowflakes but not the chaos it causes. I still believe that most people are decent in the world...so sad that a small minority try to ruin it for the rest of us. Keep snug and don't overdo the shoveling. We are having very odd mild weather here in the UK at the moment...don't send us all that cold!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have much choice about overdoing the shoveling, but at least I'm not in total misery from it. Don't worry, you'll get your chance at snow, maybe in time for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, winter is not bad at all. It brings the best out of people. To enjoy it even more: Go out and throw snowballs around, make a snowman or snow angels, dig a snow cave and sleep there over night. Have fun in the snow. That's why it's there. Well, I like snow as you may get...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll work on my attitude :) You've given me some ideas to make winter a bit less miserable at any rate.

      Delete
  4. Snow shoveling duty usually falls to me, since I'm home most often. I agree that there is camaraderie with others out fighting the snow wars - the deeper the snow, the deeper the commiseration. In that sense, Let it Snow! Nice illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the comaraderie is over. Now we just sympathetically scowl outside :)

      Delete
  5. Thickly falling snow--snow swarming, spiraling out of thick white clouds--as it was in my town yesterday--is a guilty pleasure of mine. I love it. I exclaim joyfully to those around me, if I can't help myself. It doesn't bring much extra work for me, and I rarely have to drive far in it. But I am guiltily aware of those whose lives become more difficult, more stressful, more dangerous. I'm sorry you wiped out on it and whammed your head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy. At least my head has recovered.

      Delete
  6. I'm here to attest that Washington DC can get a lot of snow. I don't think it made much difference...I hate cleaning of the windshield of the car. And shoveling of course. When the plow comes by, you're blocked in again (most of the parking is on the street.) Happy winter, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, happy winter to you too! That which doesn't kill us serves to make us stronger, right?

      Delete
  7. I hope the snow will bridge the divide and urge people to work together. It is a lovely thought, Linda. A real pre-Christmas thought. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that DC is going to work together in reality, but that won't stop me from wishing for better out of them. Wishing you well too!

      Delete