I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

"Umbrella"

A friend of mine told me about moving to the U.S.  He left his young family in the old country while he worked to establish his career and make it possible to bring them here.  His wife complained he wasn't working hard enough or fast enough, and she didn't think he sent enough money home for the family's comforts.  My friend had made so many sacrifices, he didn't even spare the money for himself for an umbrella.  He got soaked in a downpour when he was walking in a city, and had a moment of anger about his nagging wife's ingratitude, his loneliness, and the misery of how hard life can be.

I can live his moment so vividly in my mind.  It was his experience, but I think about it sometimes.  Ever since he told me about it, umbrellas have become a symbol to me.  I'm not poor if I have one.  I'm rich because I now have three.  I won't get wet, and I don't have an ungrateful, nagging spouse.  Life is good.

We choose whether or not to be happy, no matter what the weather is doing.  Lately, I've been aware of how my thoughts effect my creativity.  Am I drowning in a downpour, or sitting on a sunny beach under an umbrella's shade?

It's so easy to lose the momentum of our dreams.  We can confide our hopes to someone who blows holes through them.  Maybe they're just nasty, but often, the people who are destructive to our inspiration think they have our best interests in mind.  They want us to be practical and safe.  "Safe" never painted a masterpiece, created a vaccine, or changed the world.

You have to step out of your comfort zone to try something new.  You have to be willing to stumble and fail when you try new things.  You should even expect to stumble and experience set backs.  If it was entirely easy, and anyone could do it, would it matter?

Motivation dies when we think too much of the past, or too much about the future.  Past failures can make us believe our new efforts will fail too.  Thinking about the future can make us fear the unknown.  I think everyone can relate to fears of failure, but what about our fears of success?  What if you write the perfect book, get a publisher, and have to do public speaking on a book tour?  Or, are you so enraptured by your vision of the future that you don't sit down and do the things that make that future possible?

Most creative people have experienced the melting of time when you are so absorbed in what you're doing that hours disappear.  For those of us who have experienced this, it's a ecstatic state we're always seeking and often disappointed in finding.  We might try too hard, or avoid trying because we don't want to feel that disappointment.  Do it anyway.

Do it in your own voice, in your own way.  That's the gift that creative people give to the rest of the world, because nobody else can do what you can do.

It's something I've been telling myself a lot lately, and have been in a pretty blissed out state about it.  I wrote 10,000 words this week.  Yay!!!  There may come a time when I feel like I'm standing in a downpour without an umbrella, but why ruin today with a prospect that's only a possibility?  I'm choosing to see life as a sunny day on the beach for now :)

7 comments:

  1. I think umbrellas will always remind me of that very poignant little story now.

    I identify with everything you say about creative people. I think as we get older the "just do it" ethic becomes stronger, (which is so helpful during the slumps between the peaks of creative ecstasy and when concerned dear ones try to protect us from steps only we can know we need to take.) Congratulations on your 10,000 words. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think some of us feel this way as we get older. Some stop trying, but all of us would be better off if they'd try again. Life is better in a creative world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Linda and apropos of my current endeavors. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm, wise words, and encouragement.
    Also, I felt as you did about the immigrant - a good metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe seeing that his past misery helps others will help make that moment more worthwhile to him? Thanks Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...nobody else can do what you can do", is what I think draws me to creative people like you. And what an impactful and appropriate story for the prompt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back atcha! I enjoy seeing/reading your posts too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent post, and I totally agree with you, Linda. We need to jump off rocks and experience unsafe waters to find the flow.:-)

    ReplyDelete