I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

"Delicious"

An Italian woman I know described a family gathering where her kids served fried chicken, sweet potatoes, corn on the cob... I can't remember the menu, but you know, food.  My friend was rather put out about it.  "Who wants to eat that kind of stuff?!"  I don't know, everybody?  She muttered to herself about how the guests ate it all.  There weren't even leftovers, which really ticked her off.  Damned kids and grandkids have no appreciation for her lifetime of cooking.

This woman made lasagna for my last birthday because she knows I like it.  It was the best lasagna I've ever had.  It brought a tear to my eye.  I was tempted to call her kids up and call them ungrateful too.  This is a woman that bakes bread every week, makes pasta from scratch, and cans gallons of tomato sauce every year.  She makes the most delicious rice balls, and the very idea of rice balls was perplexing to me before I had one of hers.  I also later found out that everybody else's rice ball are pale, globby imitations of spectacular.

I took a day drive out to Middlefield, Ohio with my brother this week.  I guess it's only about 25 miles away, but it feels far.  Bro wanted to go to an archery store, and I thought it was downright ridiculous to drive so far for a store, but it was a nice day for a drive down country roads.  You can go pretty fast down those roads too, except when you get stuck behind an Amish buggy.

I examined the taxidermied dead animals and the murderous looking crossbow points while the nice boy at the store fiddled something onto Bro's bow.  To be honest, I hadn't really thought about the archery business being about killing animals.  I thought it was target practice and a little exercise.  That's all I ever did when I was a kid, though some of the older boys would shoot dry reeds at me, and that kind of smarted when they got me.  Older boys are nasty you know -- but the boy at the store was really nice, and Bro and I agreed that everybody is nice in the country.

We stopped at the cheese factory and I got a lump of Swiss cheese and a loop of trail bologna.  Mmmm... I wanted to find a restaurant out there for dinner, but Amish people apparently go home at 5:00.  I like Amish food.  It's just regular stuff that my Italian friend doesn't consider fit for her offspring, but sometimes I really miss the days when all American restaurants had some variation of meat, potatoes and gravy, vegetables.  Not like an Applebee's variation of the theme that's too amplified, I just want a fat grandma's basic cooking.  With pie.

When I was little, my family used to travel down different country roads to visit my great grandpa.  We always went to an Amish restaurant on these trips, and I suppose Amish food has become enmeshed in my mind with warm, loving memories.  I've been on a life-long search to find apple dumplings the way they used to be, but you never know, maybe the memory is better than what's possible to create in reality?

Bro and I wandered our way back through all the country roads and ended up eating at Aladdin's, which is Lebanese, and totally delicious in its own way.  The blueberry "Concrete Mixer" was a delicious ice cream dessert from a different road trip.

8 comments:

  1. "A Lump of Swiss cheese and a Loop of Trail Bologna" may be the title of my autobiography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day out Linda. Warm memories from that day and years ago for you. I can understand how you love your Italian friend's cooking, they really do produce the best tasting food in my opinion. Concrete ice cream..whatever next ;0) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Italian friend was miffed about sweet potatoes, but she like Chinese food, so maybe there's no reason to any of this? Whatever the food, I think as long as you're with people you love the food will be good too :)

      Delete
  3. How have I never had a rice ball? Spectacular or otherwise?

    Nice story of your day out with the bro. Wonderful illustration! Culver's motto, "Welcome to Delicious", is clearly inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ice cream was delicious. My first rice ball was only a few years ago, so I can't say much about that. Maybe they were included in Italian parties and I just passed them by without knowing they could be tremendous? They've got a melted lump of cheese in the center of sticky rice that's been coated in seasoned bread crumbs and deep fried. Mmmmm :)

      Delete
  4. A nice road trip full memories and interesting visuals. And a professional illustration, as always. I hope you are enjoying spring, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you're enjoying spring too. It's been intermittant monsoon season or beautiful in Ohio lately.

      Delete