I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

"Shoe"

In nice weather, I often go hiking with my brother -- who inevitably complains that I wore the wrong shoes for hiking as he leads our double-time military marches up or down very steep hills.  It doesn't matter that all of our hikes tend to be spontaneous activities.  One of these days I'll remember to put a pair of hiking boots in my car?  Probably not.  I'll continue to complain about getting stones caught in my sandals while forcing a stop to catch my breath and slow my heart rate.

I never felt a need for hiking shoes in the first place, but I was participating with a deafening herd of buffalos hiking group, and the hikers thought hiking shoes were mandatory.  I dutifully, if reluctantly, parted with over $100.00 for a pair of very stiff shoes.  A few weeks later, I found a broken-in pair at the thrift shop for $5.00.  If I'm going to remember to wear hiking shoes, I'll wear the $5.00 pair.

Once I had the expensive shoes, I wondered aloud why people buy them.  A man told me it was because the shoes offered a better grip on the trail.  I pointed out that my tennis shoes had a good tread on the bottom, but the man just gave me a look that clearly expressed disdain for my ignorance.  I sighed, and marched in line with the noisy buffalos.

My brother is a better hiking companion.  He doesn't burden me with non-stop, persistent chatter, but he isn't a mute either.  We have pleasant conversation along the way, and listen to the birds sing.  We stop to eat blackberries and look at butterflies which isn't possible with the buffalos since wildlife flees from hiking groups.

Sometimes I think I should join another hiking group even though they tend to be relentlessly cheerful morning people who rhapsodize about dressing in layers.  These people make me crazy, but there's something to be said for weekly exercise.  Once I resigned myself to waking up early on Sunday mornings, I usually had a pretty good time with the hiking group.  Okay, to be perfectly honest, I disliked hiking with them.  I enjoyed the after-hike lunches at local restaurants where I gained back whatever calories I might have accidentally dropped along the trail.

I think I just need a different group.  The hiking group I used to play with was really a group of bicyclists who hiked together in winter.  I've always had a strong mistrust of men in colorful spandex tights, even if they don't wear them on winter hikes.  I know they own those things, and there's just something deeply wrong about that.

I'm not very attached to "shoe" as the word for the week.  I know there are a lot of people with shoe fetishes, but I'm not one of them.  For now, I'm just delaying the moment when I put on my lawn mowing shoes and attack the front yard.  I'd rather go hiking.

6 comments:

  1. I never wear my hiking boots either. It is hard to find kindred spirits in anything. I went to a walking meet up and the only people there were old men farts that didn't even want to talk. That was my last event with that group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes old guys can be fun, but not if they won't talk :/ If you lived closer we could create our own group.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the hiking boots. They seem stiff and heavy to me, and I just wear trail running shoes to go hiking while the husband clomps along in his boots. Nevertheless, you did good tribute to the hiking boot with your illustration!

    " I've always had a strong mistrust of men in colorful spandex tights, even if they don't wear them on winter hikes." - Totally get that one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who understands about men in spandex. Maybe we can unite and stop this worrying trend? :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree re hiking boots Linda...I should think it's a marketing ploy...decent comfy trainers are fine by me. I know just what you mean about the cheerful hikers...that made me laugh! Enjoy you long bro walks xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your walks too! It looks like you're back to the baby strollers :)

    ReplyDelete