I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, November 4, 2017

"Women"

Harvey Weinstein's despicable behavior may have a positive outcome for women?  The fame of many of his victims has brought national attention to a subject women have known a long time.  The fact that many of the famous women, and Weinstein himself, are Democrats have Republicans excited to report it.  Democrats sin.  Take your attention off alleged presidential treason, tax evasion, and money laundering.  Republicans are also delighted about the Democratic party making a deal with pre-convention Hillary Clinton.

As a Bernie supporter, I'm seriously annoyed with the Democratic party.  I addictively watch news about the varied investigations into the Russian scandal.  T whines he wants investigations into HC's emails whenever he's in trouble though authorities have already said HC made poor decisions without breaking the law.  Let's get to the main issue that effects everybody, sexism.

I'm delighted to hear men talking about the topic.  Granted, a sorry amount of those men seem to completely miss the point of the subject, but they're talking.  It's a start.

Sexism isn't about sex.  It's domination and bullying.  Offenders are often married or in relationships.  They get consensual sex.  Harassing a woman at work makes them feel powerful.  In no way is this a "flattering" or "friendly".  Here's some statistics...

  • Nearly 1 in 5 women report being raped.
  • About 1 in 20 women experienced sexual violence other than rape in the last 12 months.
  • 20% of all US crime is domestic violence and it is the leading cause of injury for women.  The FBI estimates violence will occur in 2/3 of all marriages."
That's enough statistics.  It's a violent world.  That violence follows us through office doors.  The greatest tragedy is that the violence is tacitly condoned by the powers that be.  Human Resources departments exist to protect companies.  Policemen are often child abusers and wife beaters.  Laws are written to protect men in power.  Victims fear to band together because they are afraid they'll lose their positions.

Many otherwise good people seem blind to reality.  Maybe Weinstein's abuses finally breaks through decades of concrete bubbles around other abusers?  When Bill O'Reilly was outed, many enjoyed his downfall without much sympathy to his quickly forgotten victims.  When Anita Hill testified to Congress, she was criticized and diminished while Clarence Thomas was given a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Sexism is a huge topic that effects women at work and at home.  I suppose it takes some famous women to make the point, but it happens to your mom, aunt, sister, daughter, niece, friend, neighbor, and maybe to you.  Also, as Kevin Spacey demonstrated, not all victims are female.

Keep talking.  Don't let this bubble fade without awareness and change.

This art is something I did for American Mensa's Bulletin magazine.  In this context, it's a reminder that the world can be a place of comfort and support between genders.

11 comments:

  1. I hope/wish we could all come together to support and treat each other with kindness and respect. Man, woman, republican, democrat. And everyone that doesn't fit into one of those categories! I wish there wasn't so much darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, though it's my hope that the more we speak up, the more kindness and respect will surround us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sexism has been around for so long. We think we're making progress, but it's a long hill to climb. The shenanigans in Hollywood alone are despicable, but sadly, not at all surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too true, but while there's life there's hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you. Being a man myself it's frustrating and embarrassing to see my fellow men keep doing all kinds of violations. But maybe - and hopefully - the Weinstein scandal may open for some really mentality changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hope is that the majority of good men will band together with women to get the bad people under control, but I suspect it's like gun control discussions, something that happens after a shooting, but nothing substantive is enacted. Still, the more we speak up, the more chance there is for change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that a few decades ago I wrote down all my female friends and ticket a box next to their name if I knew about sexual harassment or rape. The result deeply shocked me. I think your F&F are too low. It is seriously depressing and, like you, I hope that naming and shaming (and punishment) will prevent further damage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did something similar when I was in school. I felt deeply shocked too. I can only hope that victims find safety and love in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It is good that you raise awareness and voice this hope.

      Delete
  9. What you say about sexism, that it's not about sex is so true. Sexism is the practice of subordination of one sex under the other. This works in so many ways, and sexual abuse is one means in a whole arsenal of subordination. Today I hear men discussing these issues in a new way. I hear them in the gym, in the sauna, at the café. Highlighting the need of respectfulness. But when do men and women come together discussing openly about this? I guess that's needed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the current conversation is a wonderful thing. Maybe we're moving towards a better dynamic between the genders?

      Delete