I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, February 9, 2018

"Olympics"

My first grade class was meekly herded into the gym for a school assembly.  We obediently stayed put in our designated spot while the older classes monkeyed around.  An older girl did a cartwheel in front of us.  I was flabbergasted.  Forget the flagrant disobedience, what would possess that child to put her head at risk by jumping around upside down like that?!!

I asked my girlfriend if she had ever seen such a thing.  She had.  "Can you do it too?"  She got up and did a shaky cartwheel.  I was awed.  I had no idea my girlfriend could defy gravity.  The older girl came back and did 3 perfect cartwheels in a row.  I felt like a backwoods hick who didn't know city tricks.  (Keep in mind, these kids also lived in the boondocks.  They just weren't quite as deeply buried in the woods.)

When at home again, I told Sis1 about this amazing feat of daring.  She knew about cartwheels, but had never tried to do them before.  She gave it a try, then several tries.  She sort of had the idea, but not the actual knack.  Sis2 came home and quickly mastered it.  I got off the grass and tried too.

Eventually, all of us mastered it.  I thought that was enough gymnastics to last a lifetime, but Sis1 enjoyed athletic things.  She started coming home with more ideas of things for us to practice.  I managed to bend over backwards until I could put my hands on the ground, then I eventually managed to get my legs over too.  I walked the railroad ties next to the driveway and pretended it was a balance beam.  The Olympics gave us ideas for more balance beam tricks.  I found a nice broken tree in the woods so I could swoop my legs further down than on the railroad ties.  I did forward and backwards somersaults on that tree too.

Sis1 often spotted me during some of the more difficult maneuvers.  If she wasn't around, I might get a concussion.  I decided gymnastics was stupid, but by the time I got to middle school gymnastics were required.  Those city kids had been collecting more sophisticated tricks in the intervening years too.  I eyed the parallel bars with the same mistrust as I had felt when witnessing my first cartwheel.

I was out in my back yard a few weeks ago when I had a random thought about cartwheels.  Could I still do one?  I almost gave it a shot, but my rational mind quickly shut down that idiocy.  My 5-year-old and 50-something brains are in complete agreement about the rules of my body's verticality and risk.  Perhaps I'll watch some of the Olympics from the safe harbor of my couch.

My wish for this year's Olympics is that North and South Koreans build positive relationships with each other.  I also hope their combined team wins something together creating hope for that region and for the rest of the world.

11 comments:

  1. Good job. I never did really master the cartwheel *sigh*. But I do remember getting together with friends to "play" Olympics after watching a bit on TV. I wonder if kids do that anymore? If so, I don't see them.
    I like your rings... and your wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Maybe if we all wish hard enough? I seldom see kids actually playing outside. I wish for sweaty, muddy kids too.

      Delete
  2. the cartwheel equals broken neck and busted arm :) nice image - of course - hope you are well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew! I didn't do the cartwheel in the back yard so I'm well enough. I hope you're living in maximum happiness and your show does great.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha Linda...like you I have often contemplated doing a cartwheel but my 50+ head gets the better of me. Enjoy the Olympics and yes let's hope some barriers get broken down xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep hoping for broken barriers but my politicians seem against world peace. Maybe they should try doing some cartwheels?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your experience as a gymnastic. Fun read. Otherwise, I agree with you, it would be great for the peaceful approach between the two countries if they could win medal or two together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I ever mastered a cartwheel. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I hope I'm more athletic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seem athletic enough for your exotic hikes!

    ReplyDelete